Not long ago, Tess Guthrie's cat was hissing so loud that the sound woke her from her slumber. And when the 22-year old Australian mom did open her eyes she saw a six foot python had wrapped itself around the arm of her six-month-old daughter, who was sleeping right next to her.
Most people have never actually seen the movie 'Snakes On A Plane.' But thanks to its descriptive name and an aggressive ad campaign based around star Samuel L. Jackson's proclivity for profanity, we all know the bad things that can happen if the slithery reptiles get loose on an aircraft.
By this point, it should be fairly obvious that getting distracted by a cell phone can be extremely hazardous to your health. And yet, a teen girl in California actually fell into a pit of rattlesnakes while searching for a signal in the desert. Need further proof? We didn't think so.
You've surely heard the phrase "Man bites dog," which is a journalistic term that describes how unusual events -- like a man biting a dog -- get more coverage than typical ones, like a dog biting a man.
This story out of Nepal mixes both the unusual and the typical. It started when famer Mohammed Salmodin was bitten by a cobra while working in the field.
Although there a thousands of species of snakes, only a few hundred of them are poisonous. But considering we humans are scared of them anyway, here's a video that won't change our minds about snakes anytime soon.
Like the plot of the Samuel L. Jackson movie of the same name, an Australian pilot found himself staring at a snake as he maneuvered a plane through the air. The fact that the small Air Frontier plane was carrying no passengers and it was only one snake didn't temper the drama one bit.
While you may know former Guns N' Roses member (and current solo artist) Slash as a guitar god, we here at TheFW appreciate his love for our slithery, scaly friends. The rocker is a longtime fan of snakes, and at one point had over 80 of them in his home. (He gave them up after the birth of his son.) And as our pals at Loudwire recently discovered, he's also a fan of everyone's favorite Golden Gir
Ready for something scarier than your checking account balance? Folks who tried to make a withdrawal from this ATM machine got more than they bargained for in the form of a snake who lived in the device. As if the hidden charges most banks try to pull aren't bad enough. Now we have to dodge snakes at the ATM? Back to hiding our cash under the mattress for us.
Actually, "Snakes in the ATM"
If this video of one gecko saving another gecko from a deadly snake is any indication, you could do a lot worse than having a gecko look out for your safety. No wonder the gecko is the spokesperson for GEICO.
Upon finding a baby king snake with two fully functional heads in his backyard, Tennessee man Paul Carver took it to state wildlife officials, who were just as baffled as he was.
"I've been working 13 years and been in the woods all my life -- nearly 40 years -- and I've never seen anything like this," explained wildlife officer Dale Grandstaff.